There are a number of immediate benefits to choosing Prunus lusitanica for your next hedge:
- Quite drought tolerant and requires little or no irrigation
- Resistant to deer and many pests including the shot hole fungus that affects Prunus laurocerasus cherry laurels
- Attractive evergreen glossy leaves and red stems
- Fragrant spring flowers and fruit are a draw for bird populations
- Prunus lusitanica is tolerant of a variety of soil types
- It is a fast-growing shrub and has a dense habit with compact foliage, so Portuguese laurel makes a great privacy screen or windbreak
For more privacy hedge options, you can explore all our different types of hedge plants. You can also check out our other laurel hedge types: Schip laurel and English laurel.