PORTUGUESE LAUREL QUICK GUIDE
- Tolerant of warm climates, drought and deer, the Portuguese Cherry Laurel is vibrant yet hardy.
- The shrub thrives in many different soils, including chalk, clay, loam and sand.
- The Portuguese Cherry Laurel is evergreen and looks vibrant throughout all seasons.
- Bees enjoy the sweetly fragrant white flowers in late spring, and the late summer fruits are a valuable food source for birds.
- With its pest resistance and adaptability to many different soil conditions, the Portuguese Cherry Laurel is easier to maintain than many other hedge varieties.
- Prunus lusitanica is easy to maintain at 3-4’, it can easily grow up to 10 feet or higher for a tall privacy hedge.
PRUNUS LUSITANICA DETAILS
There are a number of immediate benefits to choosing Prunus lusitanica for your next hedge:
- Quite drought tolerant and requires little or no irrigation
- Resistant to deer and many pests including the shot hole fungus that affects Prunus laurocerasus cherry laurels
- Attractive evergreen glossy leaves and red stems
- Fragrant spring flowers and fruit are a draw for bird populations
- Prunus lusitanica is tolerant of a variety of soil types
- It is a fast-growing shrub and has a dense habit with compact foliage, so Portuguese laurel makes a great privacy screen or windbreak
|USDA Hardiness Zones:||6b - 9|
|Your Hardiness Zone:|
Your auto-detected zip code: Detecting...
And your zone is: Detecting...
|Sun/Shade:||Partial Sun to Full Sun|
|Mature Size:||10' tall and 6' wide, trimmed|
|West Coast - Sunset Heat Zones:||4 - 9 and 14 - 24|
|Pest/Disease Issues:||Susceptible to Scales and Verticillium|
Buy your Hedge
Every kind of Hedge imaginable, delivered.
Want to go big and Instant? Or would you rather start small? InstantHedge® now offers ways to buy hedges in all sizes and quantities.
*Wholesale pricing is strictly extended to members of the green industry - including but not limited to:
Landscape Companies, Garden Centers, Landscape Suppliers, and Landscape Architects.
We reserve the right to review all customer applications and eligibility for wholesale pricing.