There are a number of immediate benefits to choosing Beech Fagus:
- Makes a uniquely attractive hedge with heavy pruning
- Tolerates a wide range of soils
- Low-branched habit makes it suitable for hedging
- Grows well in colder regions
- Lush, green leaves in summer with great fall color and winter screening
Fagus sylvatica has an attractive upright-oval to rounded-spreading crown when left alone and can be pruned to any desired hedge style.
Native to the woodlands of central and southern Europe, the European Beech hedge was brought to America by colonists in the mid-1700s and has remained a popular ornamental tree ever since.