Thuja x. ‘Green Giant’
Green Giant Arborvitae
The fast-growing Green Giant Arborvitae thrives in heat and humidity, which makes it an especially popular hedge choice in the regions around the Southern United States. With sturdy evergreen foliage, the tree keeps its color through the winter and looks healthy year-round.
There are a number of immediate benefits to choosing the Green Giant Arborvitae for your next hedge:
- Evergreen throughout the year
- Tolerates a range of different soil conditions
- Dense shape works well with casual or regular pruning
- Grows tall quickly and creates a great privacy screen
- The Green Giant is a fast-growing arborvitae hybrid that has been promoted as a disease-free substitute for other varieties of cypress, especially in the humid southeastern United States.
In the proper growing environment, the tree can grow exceedingly fast, up to 4 feet per year.
The Green Giant’s narrow and dense pyramid-shaped habit looks neat even without pruning, but can be maintained as a compact hedge with regular pruning
With slightly upturned horizontal branching and scale-like dark evergreen foliage, the tree makes a great accent in any outdoor space.
The durable, tall and quite strong-rooted and Green Giant makes an especially solid screen or windbreak hedge.
The Green Giant was introduced to the United States in 1967, when the U.S. National Arboretum planted a specimen sent from a Danish botanist.
|USDA Hardiness Zones:||5 - 8|
|Watering Requirements:||Weekly, or more often in extreme heat|
|Growth Rate:||Fast, up to 3’ to 4’ per year|
|Mature Size:||Up to 12’ height and 4’ width|
|West Coast - Sunset Heat Zones:||1 - 9 and 14 - 24|
|Pest/Disease Issues:||No major pest or disease issues. Bagworm and rots may occur.|